This is a mid-Victorian garden, dominated by a spectacular London plane tree. It contains a wide variety of shrubs and rare ornamental trees, including a wedding cake tree, handkerchief tree, tobacco tree and giant sequoias. The Square dates from 1873 and takes its name from ‘Court Fields’, a meadow in the estate of the Earl’s Court Manor House. This was demolished when the Underground was constructed. Recent improvements include the reinstatement of perimeter railings, which were sacrificed for the WWII war effort, a wildlife haven with pond, several tropical beds, an orchard of native fruit trees, a play area and a Victorian gazebo and arbour. Courtfield Gardens West has received many London Garden Competition Awards over the years.