One of the earliest garden squares in London, dating from the 17th century and built as part of the Thomas Young Estate. Originally called King’s Square, it was surrounded by fields until 1840. Today the square provides a quiet, leafy haven just yards from Kensington High Street.
The first buildings date from 1682 and the west side was completed in the 1730s. Artist Sir Edward Burne-Jones (1833-98) lived at no. 41, philosopher John Stuart Mill (1806-73) at no.18, musician Sir Charles Hubert Parry (1848-1918) at no.17 and pioneer of public health Sir John Simon (1816-1904) at no.40.