St Peter’s Bethnal Green and its adjacent vicarage were built in 1841. Over time, the church garden has been a parade ground, schoolyard and cholera pit. Today, it is a thriving community garden. The gardens are bounded by 200-year-old London plane trees. Allotments and ornamental flowerbeds surround the church building, which are mainly cared for by volunteer gardeners. The Vicarage private garden is opening the ‘secret garden door’ again, leading into a haven of peace and place of meeting, brought back into use over the last six years.