The burial ground and garden surround the Friends Meeting House and extend beyond it. There has been a Quaker meeting on this site since 1688 and the present grade II-listed building is dated 1790.
The burial ground has the character of a semi-wild garden, managed on organic principles by our gardener with volunteer help. Wide variety of trees, flowering shrubs and plants. Prominent large Atlantic cedar over 170 years old. The plants are mostly native species, many of them donated by members of the Meeting. The garden is known for its tranquil and peaceful atmosphere, and is open to the public 'for rest and quiet enjoyment'. A wide border with wild and cultivated plants extends for much of the length of the boundary wall, and flower beds are also to be found near the meeting house. Most of the site is grassed, without formal paths, and is part-shaded by trees.
The first known burial was in 1684. Burials were originally confined to the southern part of the site, but the burial ground was extended northwards in 1821 over land that had previously been let for grazing. The earliest burials were unmarked, but later burials have the characteristic Quaker headstones – small, round-topped and bearing only the deceased's name, dates and age, in keeping with the Quaker testimonies to simplicity and equality.
Notable headstones include those for members of the Hoare and Barclay families (both involved in founding banks), Luke Howard (a pioneering meteorologist, responsible for the system for classifying clouds), and two Quaker members of Parliament. The garden is home to a variety of animal life, including a resident fox nicknamed George after the founder of the Quaker movement.