This garden was developed on part of the former royal garden of St James’s Palace, when Regency architect John Nash built the surrounding Carlton House Terrace. Since 1832 it has been managed by the Crown Estate Paving Commission. The garden underwent restoration in 2011 and its 19th century character has been retained with serpentine paths, trees and shrubs. There are handsome railings and a number of statues, including the memorial to Robert Falcon Scott (Scott of the Antarctic). The original path network has been reinstated and the garden has been replanted with shrubs and ground cover that suit a shady area.