This three-acre garden square was built between 1811 and 1819. By 1820 the garden was laid out much as we see it today, with meandering paths through shrubberies, lawns, flowerbeds, a rose pergola, croquet lawn, grass tennis court and a children’s play area. Italian artist Signor Agostino Aglio designed the garden with help from the Royal Horticultural Society. The plantings and winding walks are different to those seen in most other squares. The square’s head gardener still resides at 'The Temple' - a Grecian-style lodge with Doric columns, built specifically for the gardener.