The garden was an integral part of the layout for Nevern Square, which was designed by William Graves and built from 1880-86. It was privately owned until 1974, when local residents formed a non-profit-making company to buy it. In 1978 the Kensington Improvement Act of 1851 was applied to the square, ensuring a regular income for the garden's maintenance. The garden's seven magnificent plane trees probably formed part of the original planting, and there are 28 other tree varieties. The simple layout comprises a large lawn with a circular central bed, surrounded by gravel paths and borders planted with shrubs and herbaceous plants.