Cadogan Place North Garden
(Photo: Faiqa Syed)
The buildings and gardens of Cadogan Place were laid out and developed by Henry Holland from 1777 onwards. This ‘north’ garden was created by Humphry Repton in 1806. Repton excavated soil to create hollows and hillocks and laid out gently winding paths to guide the visitor around the landscape.
During WW2 the railings were removed to donate to the war effort. In 1939 part of the garden was requisitioned by the Air Ministry for a barrage balloon. In May 1942 it was wholly taken over by the War Office. The ground was used to dig in tanks, station anti-aircraft guns and as a camp for troops.
In the 1970s the garden was re-landscaped when an underground car park was built beneath it. The central area of the garden, to all intents and purposes, is now therefore a roof garden. The shallow soil presents interesting horticultural challenges and opportunities. Some more unusual trees are grown here, including a Brazilian pepper tree (Schinus molle)
and a chinaberry tree (Melia azedarach)
. Look out for lots of different bees buzzing in the lavender.
- Saturday 10:00–17:00
+ Sunday 10:00–17:00
- Sculpture by David Wynn. Music and refreshments in adjacent Cadogan Place South Garden.
Opposite 55 Sloane Street
Nearest postcode: SW1X 9SR
- C1, 19, 22, 137, 452
- Cycle hire station:
- Pont Street (Map)
- Public toilets:
- Sloane Square (automatic):
Saturday 00:00-24:00 + Sunday 00:00-24:00 (Map)
- Good access from Sloane Street
- Dogs on leads