(Photo: Gavin Gardiner)
The buildings and gardens of Cadogan Place were laid out and developed by Henry Holland from 1777 onwards.
At the end of the 18th century this 'south' garden was known as the London Botanic Garden. The mulberry trees on the lawn are said to be around 300 years old and thought perhaps to have been grown for the silk trade. They are however black mulberry, which is less preferred by the silk worm. Nevertheless the fruit is delicious and the trees beautiful.
The severe storm of October 1987 resulted in the loss of many large trees, which have now been replaced with a variety of ornamental trees.
An interesting mixed border is planted opposite the mulberries. On the east side, a walk running the length of the garden is being developed for spring interest, along with a fern garden and mini-stumpery. Look out throughout the garden for large old Cyclamen hederifolium
corms, some as big as dinner plates.
Near the tennis courts, a water garden is partially hidden by black bamboo and willows, while to the centre of the garden is the award-winning Hans Sloane Garden, adapted from a design for the 2003 Chelsea Flower Show to celebrate the life of the physician and collector Sir Hans Sloane, who died in 1753. His daughter Elizabeth married the 1st Earl Cadogan.
Many important people have enjoyed this garden, including William Wilberforce (1759-1833), campaigner for the abolition of the slave trade, who lived at 44 Cadogan Place.
Head of Gardening: