Carlton House Terrace Gardens

Carlton House Terrace Gardens
(Photo: Gavin Gardiner)
More photos


Citymapper
Citymapper

Journey Planner

Carlton House, the London residence of the Prince Regent, was built (at great expense) on part of the site of the former royal garden of St James’s Palace and remodelled in 1813 by the Regency architect John Nash.

After becoming George IV, the Prince Regent lost interest in the house and it was demolished in 1827. Nash replaced it with Carlton House Terrace (1827–32) and Carlton Gardens (1830–33), houses for ‘persons of the highest social rank’.

Waterloo Place was Nash’s southern terminus for Regent Street. The central space between the two blocks of nine houses was intended to have a domed fountain, but is now occupied by steps down to the Mall and a column surmounted by a statue of Frederick Augustus, the ‘Grand Old Duke of York’.

The gardens have retained much of their 19th-century character, with serpentine paths, trees and shrubs. Handsome railings and a number of good statues define the perimeters of the gardens, the latest commemorating Sir Keith Park who helped win the Battle of Britain in WW2.

The gardens have been managed continuously from their inception by an organisation specifically set up in 1824 to carry out this task, the Crown Estate Paving Commission. In 2008 the gardens were restored. The original path network was reinstated with a firm surface of self-binding gravel. Replanting has added a greater variety of shrubs and groundcover more suited to the shaded environment.



Head Gardener: Kevin Powell

Share this Garden

Pin It Tweet email