Carshalton House Landscape Garden
The grounds of 17th-century Carshalton House feature the remains of a formal landscape garden of 1716-20, laid out for Sir John Fellowes, sub-governor of the South Sea Company. The early gardens may have been designed by Charles Bridgeman, and include a water tower by architect Henry Joynes.
A serpentine lake (now dry) with sham bridge was added in the later 18th century, replacing an earlier formal canal. The chalk-and-brick hermitage or grotto dates from around 1750. The remains of a wilderness survive as boundary plantings.
The ornate brick-and-stone water tower is a fine example of baroque architecture, and contains an orangery, pump chamber (with part restored water wheel), saloon and plunge bath with Delft tiles.
- Sunday 12:00–17:00
- Water tower open all afternoon. Guided walks of the grounds and hermitage available according to demand.
Pedestrian entrance to water tower in West Street
Nearest postcode: SM5 3NY
- 127, 157, 407
- Disabled toilet on site.
- Car Parking:
- No car parking on site. Parking in Festival Walk or Carshalton village.
- The water tower is wheelchair-accessible. Access to Hermitage via steps. Please phone 020 8647 0984 in advance regarding disabled access.
- Working assistance dogs only