Courtfield Gardens (East)
(Photo: Faiqa Syed)
In the mid 19th century most of the area between Earls Court Road and Gloucester Road was part of the Gunter estate.
When plans were being made to develop the area around Earls Court Manor House (next to the site of the present Earls Court Station) the Gunter family gave a portion of the fields as a site for a new church.
St Jude’s opened on Christmas Eve 1870 and closed as a parish church in 2004. Today the building houses St Mellitus Theological College.
The surrounding deeply sunken garden has ornamental flowerbeds and a bank of azaleas and rhododendrons with an abundance of self-seeded violets.
- Sunday 10:00–17:00
- Children’s playground.
Opposite No. 62 Courtfield Gardens
Nearest postcode: SW5 0NQ
- 49, 74 + 430, C1
- Gloucester Road, Earl's Court
- Cycle hire station:
- Collingham Gardens (Map)
- Public toilets:
- Earls Court Station:
Saturday 08:00-18:00 + Sunday 08:00-18:00 (Map)
- Sloping gravel path leading down to main garden.
- Working assistance dogs only