Courtfield Gardens (West)

Courtfield Gardens (West)
(Photo: Colin Wing)
More photos


Citymapper
Citymapper

Journey Planner

A tranquil mid-Victorian square with a wide variety of shrubs and ornamental trees. This includes a wedding cake tree, a handkerchief tree, two giant sequoia and a tobacco tree. The one-acre square dates from 1873 and is dominated by a large central plane tree. 

The square takes its name from the Court Fields around Earls Court Manor House, which stood nearby. The perimeter railings, which were sacrificed for the war effort in WW2, were replaced in 2008 and will be repainted this year. An irrigation system was installed in 2010 and a new planting scheme introduced in 2011, which included the creation of three tropical/mediterranean beds in the northeast corner of the garden. 

We added a Victorian gazebo and arbour in 2012, followed by a pond, wildlife garden and orchard in 2013. The wildlife garden is enclosed by mixed country hedging and in spring is carpeted by fritillaries, cowslips and wild violets. The orchard features heritage native fruit trees, to which we will add hazelnut trees this year.

In 2015 in the northwest corner we created a hedged children's play area with a sunken sandpit, a natural willow playhouse and matching wigwam.

Courtfield Gardens West has won many prizes through the years including first prizes in the Brighter Kensington & Chelsea competition in 2013 and 2015, and a silver-gilt in the London Gardens Society competition in 2016.

Contract gardener: Garden Associates - Robert Player

Share this Garden

Pin It Tweet email