(Photo: The Emery Walker Trust)
No. 7 Hammersmith Terrace is one of a terrace of 17 Georgian houses overlooking the Thames at the west end of Hammersmith’s Upper Mall.
It was home (from 1903 until his death in 1933) to Emery Walker, the great printer and antiquary, who helped his friend William Morris, who lived nearby, to set up the Kelmscott Press.
After Walker’s death, his daughter Dorothy preserved the house as it had been in her father’s lifetime. Full of original William Morris wallpapers, textiles and furniture, it is the best-preserved Arts-and-Crafts interior in Britain.
The house was a private home until recently and opened to the public for the first time in 2005. Due to its fragile nature, the house can only take a few hundred visitors a year on guided tours from April to November.
Features of the garden include a raised platform at the end overlooking the Thames, original terracotta tiles from the late 1890s, a grapevine grown from a cutting taken at Hogarth's House around 1900, and a Cotswold-stone alpine trough.
The planting still reflects some of Dorothy's additions, such as the roses, and the Emery Walker Trust has plans to recreate more of her planting choices.
Emery Walker Trust volunteers