Geffrye Museum Gardens
(Photo: Gavin Gardiner)
The Geffrye Museum is set in the former almshouses of the Ironmongers' Company. When the almshouses were sold to the London County Council in 1911, the existing paths and beds were removed to create an open recreational garden, complete with bandstand. The gardens have now been restored to their 18th-century appearance to strengthen the historical context of the setting.
In 1992 a derelict site adjacent to the museum was transformed into an award-winning herb garden with over 170 different herbs and plants traditionally associated with herb gardens, such as roses, honeysuckle and lilies.
In 1998 the gardens behind the almshouses were laid out as a series of period garden ‘rooms' to show the changing nature of English town gardens over the last 400 years.
- Saturday 10:00–17:00
+ Sunday 10:00–17:00
- Self-guided garden activities for children on both days. Café overlooking the period gardens.
Main gates on Kingsland Road
Nearest postcode: E2 8EA
- 67, 149, 242, 243, 394
- Cycle hire station:
- Hoxton Station (Map)
- Disabled toilet on site.
- Car Parking:
- Up to three hours accessible parking 10am-4pm outside museum on Kingsland Road for disabled badge holders.
- Ramped access to museum and gardens. Accessible toilets. Audio guide to museum.
- Working assistance dogs only