Hereford Square was built by the architect Thomas Holmes between 1845 and 1850. The garden with its iron railings was completed in 1848 at a cost of £1,300. The square has retained its charm and the garden is full of trees and flowering shrubs, with very pleasant walks.
Sir James Barrie, author of Peter Pan
lived at 133 Gloucester Road on the east side of the square. Rumour has it that Peter flew in through the first-floor window to take the children to Never-Never Land.
While the houses on the north side are intact, those on the west have been restored. The south side was destroyed by bombs in WW2, during which the garden was used as a baseball ground by American soldiers.
- Sunday 10:00–17:00
- Visitors are given a historical introduction to the square and garden notes.
West side of square
Nearest postcode: SW7 4TS
- C1, 49, 430
- Gloucester Road, South Kensington
- Cycle hire station:
- Old Brompton Road (Map)
- Public toilets:
- Earls Court Station:
Saturday 08:00-18:00 + Sunday 08:00-18:00 (Map)
- Working assistance dogs only