Lloyd Square

Lloyd Square
(Photo: Lynne Eva)
More photos


Citymapper
Citymapper

Journey Planner

The tranquil and secluded garden of Lloyd Square has a traditional layout, with trees around the perimeter and a central flowerbed surrounded by smaller beds, planted with shrub roses and perennials in an informal design. A gravelled path leads to a pergola. The lawned children’s play area was originally a tennis court.

The distinctive pedimented façades of the surrounding houses were designed by the father-and-son team of John and William Booth between 1820 and 1830 for the Lloyd Baker family, who owned the whole estate until the mid-20th century.

A garden committee run by residents has managed the garden since 1917. In the last few years, renewal work has been undertaken to repair and renovate the railings, reinstate paths, extend planting across the garden and refurbish the arbour.

Leaving the square at the south-west end, a walkway leads through St Helena's Garden, recently replanted by the local community group with shade-loving plants.

Lloyd Square Garden: Liz Thornton

Share this Garden

Pin It Tweet email