Museum of Brands
This award-winning garden is situated behind the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising, originally built in 1866 as the Bayswater Jewish School. The original planting in 1990 was a donation from the Chelsea Flower Show of the gold-medal-winning Crabtree & Evelyn scented garden to form part of the London Lighthouse HIV/AIDS centre. Since then the garden has developed to form a secluded enclave in the heart of busy Ladbroke Grove.
The garden is a south-facing courtyard, enclosed by walls on three sides. The planting includes a mixture of herbaceous perennials, climbers and tender sub-tropical plants, such as Brugmansia
, which flourish in this microclimate. Nest boxes encourage a number of small bird species to thrive in the garden.
The Museum of Brands seeks garden volunteers
Further details Garden Volunteers will support the Museum Gardener with the following:
We are looking for people who
- Keeping the garden tidy;
- Watering the garden;
- Plant care activities, for which you will be trained on a task-by-task basis.
For more information, please contact Karin Kihlberg, Museum Manager, Karin@museumofbrands.com or 020 7243 9611.
- Enjoy practical tasks;
- Enjoy working outdoors;
- Have excellent team-working skills;
- Have good communication skills in spoken English;
- Have an interest in plants and gardening.
- Sunday 11:00–17:00
- The Museum of Brands provides a fascinating insight into how everyday lives have changed over the past 150 years through the evolution of consumer brands. Exhibits showcase historic and contemporary household packaging, toys, magazines, newspapers, technology, travel, fashion and design, a picture emerges, creating a visually stimulating and thought-provoking experience. For many it’s an emotional and nostalgic reunion with their past.
A special Botanical Quiz exploring the collection is available to Open Garden Squares visitors. There is a small admission charge to enter the Museum.
111–117 Lancaster Road
Nearest postcode: W11 1QT
- 7, 23, 52, 70, 228, 295, 452
- Ladbroke Grove
- Cycle hire station:
- St. Mark's Road (Map)
- Disabled toilet on site.
- Working assistance dogs only