The Old Blue Cross Pet Cemetery

The Old Blue Cross Pet Cemetery


Citymapper
Citymapper

Journey Planner

The Old Blue Cross Pet Cemetery is the remaining part of what was the Blue Cross Kennels, where the pets of service personnel were kennelled, initially during the 2nd Boer War (1899-1902) and then WW1 and WW2. It is also the final resting place for much-loved pets of members of the community.

Originally the memorial stones were upstanding, with attractive flowerbeds and shrubs. Today the stones are laid in the ground.

Although animals can no longer be buried here, there is a Memorial Wall where plaques can be erected to commemorate a much-loved pet. There are over 200 stones. Some are so worn that the inscriptions are no longer legible, while others have touching inscriptions which set the imagination to wonder about the families involved and what sort of animals their pets were.

Gardeners: Committee Working Group

Share this Garden

Pin It Tweet email