This delightful garden was originally laid out in 1887 on the site of a derelict paper factory by Octavia Hill, the Victorian philanthropist and co-founder of the National Trust as ‘an open-air sitting-room’ for the people of Southwark. In its heyday it was the scene of the annual Southwark flower show and many concerts and fêtes.
Bankside Open Spaces Trust (BOST) worked with many supporters to restore the original layout of this beautiful Victorian garden. The project included the re-creation of the pond with bridge and fountain, bandstand, new flowerbeds, lawns and benches.
The garden is laid out in front of Octavia Hill's model dwellings and community hall (private), both integral to her vision for the local community. It is now run as a community garden, managed by BOST, with volunteers helping to maintain the space. The garden was awarded RHS Small Park of the Year 2016 and holds a community Green Flag Award 2016.