Royal Garrison Church of St George, Woolwich

Royal Garrison Church of St George, Woolwich
More photos


Citymapper
Citymapper

Journey Planner

St. George’s Garrison Church was built for the barracks directly opposite. It is a beautiful, tranquil place with splendid views of the Royal Artillery parade ground opposite.

The grade-II listed ruins of the Victorian church (designed by Thomas Wyatt, the Earl of Pembroke’s architect for Wilton church in Wiltshire) were largely destroyed by a V1 flying bomb in July 1944.

They contain the VC Memorial to the Royal Artillery, at the centre of which is the glorious Venetian mosaic of St George and the Dragon by Salvati. The mosaics of the phoenix and peacock have been restored and the remaining mosaics await restoration. 

Landscaping and planting of the garden is on-going throughout 2017. Lawn now covers what was once the paved floor of the church nave. Walled flowerbeds with plants and climbing roses provide a fine setting and a place for quiet and contemplation.

There is a memorial in the garden to local men who died on active service or as a result of terrorist activities since the end of WW2.

A dedicated team of volunteers, together with young people from the local Shooters Hill post-16 campus, help to maintain and improve the garden as a community resource.

Share this Garden

Pin It Tweet email