St George's Gardens

St George's Gardens
(Photo: Lynne Eva)


Citymapper
Citymapper

Journey Planner

Originally meadowland, the site was acquired in 1713 to serve as the burial grounds for the new churches of St George, Bloomsbury Way and St George the Martyr, Queen Square. These were the first church burial grounds in London not to be sited next to their churches.

The first burial was in 1715, and the first recorded case of ‘body-snatching' (the theft of corpses for medical research and teaching) took place here in 1777.

Today the gardens are a peaceful retreat. The many large plane trees create shade, while imposing ivy-clad tombs and gravestones may be found throughout the gardens.

The site, restored in 2001 by the London Borough of Camden with a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, now includes a sensory garden created by the Friends of St George's Gardens near the Chapel of Rest.

Share this Garden

Pin It Tweet email