St George's Gardens
(Photo: Lynne Eva)
Originally meadowland, the site was acquired in 1713 to serve as burial grounds for new churches of St George, Bloomsbury Way and St George the Martyr, Queen Square. These were the first church burial grounds in London not to be sited next to their churches.
The first burial was in 1715, and the first recorded case of ‘body-snatching' (the theft of corpses for medical research and teaching) took place here in 1777.
Today the gardens are a peaceful retreat. The many large plane trees create shade around ivy-clad tombs and gravestones.
The site, restored in 2001 by the London Borough of Camden with a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, now includes a sensory garden created by the Friends of St George's Gardens near the Chapel of Rest.
- Saturday 08:00–21:00
+ Sunday 08:00–21:00
- Drop by this peaceful open space for some time out. Information leaflets and representatives of the Friends of St George’s Gardens available 10am-5pm on both days.
Poet in residence: Ginny Saunders (Details)
Handel Street (off Hunter Street), Sidmouth Street or Heathcote Street (both off Gray's Inn Road)
Nearest postcode: WC1N 2NU
- 17, 45, 46
- Russell Square/King's Cross
- Cycle hire station:
- Tavistock Place (Map)
- Public toilets:
- Camden Town Hall:
Saturday 08:00-17:00 (Map)
- Level access from Sidmouth and Heathcote Streets.
- Dogs on leads