Southwark Cathedral Churchyard and Herb Garden
(Photo: Celia Lowe)
Southwark Cathedral is London's oldest gothic church, dating from 1106, when it was the Priory of St Mary Overie. The present garden is designed using plants with Shakespearean and biblical connections. Shakespeare worshipped here when the Cathedral was known as the Parish Church of St Saviour's from 1540 - his brother Edmund is buried within the grounds.
Restored in both 2001 and 2015 the South Churchyard was opened by Nelson Mandela, with Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who was a curate in the Southwark diocese
Constructed around the ruins of the medieval Lady Chapel, the East Churchyard herb garden echoes herbs originally grown in the Apothecaries' Garden of St Thomas' Hospital.
There is also a memorial to Mahomet Weyonomon, the 18th-century leader of the American Mohegan tribe.
- Saturday 10:00–17:00
+ Sunday 10:00–16:00
- Shakespearean botanical trail. Herbal workshops in our monastic themed Herb Garden. Giant chess.
A special Choral Evensong will take place at 4pm on the Saturday and all are welcome.
Via the West Doors entrance to the Cathedral from Cathedral Street (Saturday)
Via the main West Gates (Sunday)
Nearest postcode: SE1 9DA
- 17, 21, 35, 40, 43, 45, 47, 48, 133, 141, 149, 381, 521, RV1
- London Bridge
- Cycle hire station:
- Duke Street Hill (Map)
- Disabled toilet on site.
- Accessible entrance to the churchyard through the courtyard on the north side of the cathedral.
- Working assistance dogs only