Beautiful, quiet 1.5-acre garden square surrounded by large plane trees and white stucco-fronted houses. Much horticultural interest following recent re-planting.
Sister garden to Cleveland Square, entirely refurbished in 2006 by the residents' association, including traditional railings.
These gardens, which are undergoing careful ecological regeneration, are surrounded by five-storey stucco-fronted houses built in 1858 by Henry de Bruno Austin.
Extensive communal gardens between two imposing Queen Anne revival mansion blocks. Laid out as woodland with mature trees, herbaceous borders and plenty of shade.
Award-winning three-acre communal garden, surrounded by listed stucco-fronted houses from around 1865. Grassy lawns, a fine set of interesting trees, many lovely island beds and a children's play area.
Beautiful and tranquil triangular garden lined with trees. A source of joy to the residents.
A beautiful, tranquil mid-Victorian garden, perfectly proportioned in the form of a triangle, with formal and informal beds. White stucco houses dating from the 1860s surround this peaceful space.
A square laid out to a grand design between 1811 and 1821, with plane trees and other flowering shrubs.
Central feature of an urban layout by the Portman Estate (1815-20). The site of Thomas Lord's first cricket ground, established in 1787.
A beautiful Georgian square with a fine collection of trees, shrubs and plants, first laid out in 1776-88. A major replanting programme took place in 2006-8.
A fine example of late Georgian architecture and the only purely residential square left in Westminster, with a beautiful, tranquil, shady garden. Railings recently restored. Light refreshments.
One of London's largest private squares, designed and laid out by John Nash. Dominated by plane trees planted in 1817 to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo. An original and unique feature of the garden is the Nursemaids' Tunnel.
A wonderful example of a thriving food-growing space in the heart of the capital, the base for Capital Growth's training programme.
University garden covering 11 acres, set within Regent's Park, originally home to the pioneering Bedford College for Women.
An elegant and educational medicinal plant garden with over 1000 different plants, linked to the story of medicine through current or traditional practices and the doctors who have influenced its history. Conducted tours, refreshments.
15 gardens selected