Bryanston Square is an early 19th century garden square built on the Portman Estate between 1811 and 1821. The east and west side properties feature grand stuccoed fronts and columns and pediments at each corner and in the centre (the latter now lost). The garden for residents of surrounding houses features magnificent old London plane trees among other flowering trees. Planting includes rhododendron, azalea, camellia, weigela, dogwood, viburnum, mahonia and hydrangea. A memorial drinking fountain was erected in 1863 at the south end and there's an early 19th century cast-iron water pump in the form of a Doric column at the north end.