Leading landscape gardener Humphry Repton designed this garden in 1806, focussing on creating hollows, hillocks and gently winding paths. During the WW2 war effort, part of it was requisitioned for a barrage balloon and railings were removed. The War Office took it over in 1942 to station tanks, anti-aircraft guns and troops. In the 1970s it was re-landscaped when an underground car park was built underneath and the shallow soil presents interesting horticultural challenges. Perimeter paths are screened from the road by shrubberies, a winding path breaks the formality and the lawn has central rose beds and pergola with seating. An architectural Acacia dealbata is a central feature.