Chester Square in the heart of Belgravia was laid out between 1828 and 1840 by the 1st Duke of Westminster and his surveyor and architect, Thomas Cundy II. Thomas Cundy also designed St Michael’s Church on the west side, which provides a backdrop to the 1.5-acre garden.It is surrounded by herbaceous borders and conceals a tranquil central rose garden. Rope-edged tiles and some original trees have survived. The garden won a Silver Gilt award in the Small Park of the Year (up to 5 acres) category in London in Bloom (2018). Past residents include poet Matthew Arnold (1822-88) at No 2 and Frankenstein author, Mary Shelley (1797-1851) at No 24.