This Grade II-listed garden was originally the site of the Hippodrome racecourse entrance, built by John Whyte in 1837. The venture foundered as the course was too heavy-going. An 1849 plan, signed by architect and surveyor Thomas Allason, shows the garden laid out as it is today, the largest of the Ladbroke Estate's 16 communal gardens. It is also one of London's largest private garden squares. Within the railings, shrubbery and stately trees enclose a long, east-west walk along the north side, with winding paths around three spacious lawns, flanked by colourful herbaceous borders. There are two playgrounds for small and older children.