Henry William Portman developed the first square in the 18th century on 200 acres. It was immediately popular due to neighbouring buildings by Robert Adam and James ‘Athenian’ Stuart. The gardens once contained a movable temple, erected by the Turkish ambassador to enjoy the seasons. First laid out around 1780 as a wilderness, it was re-landscaped in the early 1900s. Today, there is a private one hectare (2.5 acres) garden square, shaded by magnificent plane trees. There is also a children’s play area and a tennis court. The secluded and peaceful garden won a Silver award at the London Gardens Society competition in 2018.